Wednesday, March 15, 2006

IT WOULD HAVE TAKEN FIVE MINUTES -- AND SAVED A LOT OF PAIN


This is a conversation that didn't take place about December 15, 2005. It should have taken place, but it didn't. The names have been changed to protect the innocent. The parties to the conversation are "Roots" (Short for "Grass Roots Superstar") and "Sheriff" (short for "Sheriff".) The conversation didn't go (but should have gone) something like this:

Roots: Hi, Sheriff. Ya know I'm running against the current incumbent County Clerk in the primary.

Sheriff: Kind of like Bob Kuhn?

Roots: Something like that. Who's Bob Kuhn?

Sheriff: He's the guy who tried to take my job away from me in the '02 Primary. You remember '02, don't you? That's where I needed votes and you didn't vote in the primary?

Roots: Primary? That's the thingy like I'm gonna do now, right? You had one of those too? Cool. (voices heard in background on Roots' end)...........Long pause..........Well, my committee took a long time to decide whether I should vote in that primary and, by the time they made up my mind, it was June and the primary been over three months.

Sheriff: Whatever. How can I help you today, Roots?

Roots: Well, I'm calling to make sure I don't do anything that would hurt your general election--that's what they call that thingy they have in November, right?--by using some information in my campaign?

Sheriff: What information would that be, Rootsie?

Roots: Well, I'm not sure I understand it too well but somebody who hates the current county clerk told me that prisoners were doing work in the Clerk's office. It's some kind of special program. I think it's called "Paw Pals" or something like that.

Sheriff: How about SWAP?

Roots: I suppose. "Paws", SWAP, same letters of the alphabet.

Sheriff: So what's your question for me?

Roots: Did they work in the Clerk's Office?

Sheriff: Let me check my records (pause). No, they didn't work in the Clerk's office. They worked in the storage and destruction area on some Clerk's records for part of one day about three years ago. Took some already boxed and packaged records to be destroyed. They usually work setting up furniture for polling places too. Did your souce tell these guys are closely supervised by a deputy and searched after each duty?

Roots: No, nobody told me anything like that. I thought they were just loose in there rummaging around in vital records, sniffing the whiteout and cutting themselves payroll checks, maybe smoking a little dope.

Sheriff: Whoever told you that is either trying to make you look stupid or hurt me politically by making me answer some goofy charge that has no basis in the Real World. This is just routine SWAP work. Happens in Public Offices and civic events all the time. Saves a boatload of money for the taxpayers.

Roots: Well, thanks. It sounds like somebody's grudge is so strong that person would have me do or say anything to hurt the current clerk, even if it hurts you and isn't true. I'll make sure to stay away from it.

Sheriff: Thanks for calling. You did the right thing to check it out with me first.

(Phone Disconnects)

Sheriff: (To self) Lemme see, Grass Roots worker but couldn't find his way to to the polls to help me in '02. Couldn't figure out on his own that this was a crock? Hmmmmmm, My keen Law Enforcement instincts tell me there's something wrong with this picture.....Note to self, try not to share a podium with this one. It's only a few months till March.


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

PLEASE NOTE AGAIN: THIS CONVERSATION DID NOT ACTUALLY TAKE PLACE!

IT SHOULD HAVE

4 Comments:

At 8:33 PM, March 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CARPER ERIC 1-DEM 1-DEM
CARPER KAREN 1-DEM 1-DEM
CARPER ALEX 1-DEM 1-DEM 1-DEM
Quincy 39 precinct committeeman
CARPER JEFFREY 1-DEM 1-DEM
CARPER PAUL 1-DEM 1-DEM
CARPER SHARON 1-DEM 1-DEM

Look like pretty solid democrats to me. After the treatment you've given them, hope you don't need them in the future for something.

 
At 9:14 PM, March 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course, you, Georgia and the Goehl tribe don't want to talk about those convicted offenders that were loaned to the Clerks office by the Probation Department do you? The same offenders that both past & current employees saw copying private records. The same offenders who were listed on work orders signed by, dare I say it, Georgia Volm. Shame, shame, shame....fortunately, TRUE DEMOCRATS only have to put up with Georgia for just a few more days!

 
At 10:01 PM, March 15, 2006, Blogger UMRBlog said...

Anon 1033,

Didn't say anybody wasn't a democrat. That seems to be the province of another blog, telling "true" and "real" democrats from mere democratic officeholders.

What I suggested in the piece was that, when Fish needed EC, he wasn't there. That's what official vote records say.

I appreciate your stopping by but, next time, try to stay on topic.

 
At 10:20 PM, March 15, 2006, Blogger UMRBlog said...

anon 1114,

Reading from Carper's own brochure "Georgia Volm has used prisoners to work in the County Clerk/Recorder's office. The day I walk in to (sic) that office prisoners will no longer be allowed to work in the office!"

Now, being an expert in penology, you surely know that the only places holding prisoners in Adams County are the Department of Corrections and the Sheriff. Neither of them has supplied any "prisoners" to work in the Clerk's office.

I realize Eric's "committee" is now claiming This is all evil Ed Husar's fault and poor Eric never said the "P" word. Inconveniently, it's permanently etched in this lovely brochure.

He's had about four months to get his message out. If he meant PSE probationers,that's what he should have said. He said "prisoners". Because he never produced squat for specifics or documentation, the Volm campaign answered the charge made--prisoners. "Prisoners" implicated the Sheriff, a perfectly predictable outcome. Not only is it a perfectly predicatable outcome but I am confident the Sheriff himself warned your "tribe" (your word, Bubba, not mine) that this would come to no good end. It did and now you want out of it, i.e., "I never said that!" That's not Big Boy Politics.

Justify whatever you want to justify. EC laid the issue out there and laid an egg. Now he wants to fade the heat to Ed Husar and the evil Volm campaign which didn't respond to the charge that was never made. If you can't see how the "I was misquoted" gambit plays out, there's nothing I can do to explain it to you.

Thanks for stopping in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home