Monday, June 08, 2009

PERSONAL DISCIPLINE ISSUES

Here I'm talking about little ones, not drug abuse or morbid obesity or even not bathing.

Michelle Obama says the President is bad about picking up his socks. That's kind of what I'm talking about today.

I'll give you two of mine. When I use a tool or implement, as soon as the task is completed, I put the tool down without putting it away. I know better but I am just so anxious to get on to the next thing that I don't place a priority on orderliness. This, of course, slows down the next job requiring that tool because I have to find the tool first. So I am undisciplined in the name of efficiency and my lack of discipline in putting away the tool, actually causes delay. Terrible habit and making no progress on it.

The other one is a little more esoteric. I have this wonderful tub system where the winter clothes go into the tubs during the summer and the summer clothes go into the tubs during the winter. Great Space Saver. Very efficient except when there's operator error. The error starts during the transition seasons (October, April) where you need stuff from both seasons available. During this season, I keep some useful stuff out of the bins and on a surface in a spare room. That's OK but, once there is a clear change of seasons, the "put-away" should happen automatically and seamlessly to make the spare room available. Often it takes numerous reminders and the put-away doesn't happen until July 4 and Christmas respectively. Fortunately for both of us, my wife is not opposed to repeating herself, sometimes pointedly.

Most of us have these. For most of us, it's not really laziness. We're really working hard at other stuff. Certain things either don't catch our attention or they are deferred, just because they can be.

Care to share your modest "personal discipline issues...." Please, not the $500/day coke habit. This is just supposed to an amusing analysis of human foibles.

9 Comments:

At 1:40 PM, June 08, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The clean clothes rarely, if EVER, make it into the dresser. I just fish them out of the laundry basket. Which brings me to my product idea... A dresser that holds a laundry basket! Pull the cover of the dresser up and slide it back, put the laundry basket in, and then pull the cover of the dresser back down to cover it up! Kind of like one of those filing cabinets...

 
At 8:02 PM, June 08, 2009, Blogger UMRBlog said...

I think you're into something.

TYFCB

 
At 8:13 PM, June 08, 2009, Blogger observer said...

Got to agree with the seasonal clothes thing. I can't find my summer pajamas, even after I got all my swim suits, and T-Shirts out of the transition boxes.--Whew, changing seasons is a lot of work.

BUT !! Why did you did have to insert Michelle Obame into this???

Barak does not pick up anything,,,
He's got people--Pick up people


Back to your story, I just moved all my winter stuff into the "tubs" and it got chilly the other night and I had to get some long shirts from the "tub" to keep me warm. This goes on all year. We don't have enough space for all the clothes needed year round, so
there is a lot of trips to the attic.

 
At 8:43 PM, June 08, 2009, Blogger UMRBlog said...

Oh, I love that.

Who knew that April would bleed into June and the tubs would have to be violated?

TYFCB

 
At 10:39 AM, June 09, 2009, Blogger Rodney Hart said...

Phone numbers. I write them down, then forget to put a name by them. I have a great rolodex by my desk, if I wrote down a third of the numbers it would be jammed.

Music. Tons of lyric sheets lying around. If the band wants to practice a song, you'd think I'd have something in an order and be able to find it. Many an idea has been torpedoed by lack of lyric sheets ... old guys have no shame and use music stands during shows!

 
At 11:54 AM, June 09, 2009, Blogger pravoslavniye said...

>Phone numbers. I write them down,
>then forget to put a name by
>them. I have a great rolodex by
>my desk, if I wrote down a third
>of the numbers it would be jammed.

I am so glad to know I'm not the only one who does this!

>The clean clothes rarely, if
>EVER, make it into the dresser. I
>just fish them out of the laundry
>basket.

Or this.

And contrary to popular belief there is no way in heck I'm opening my apartment to nice folks on the Great Spaces tour on June 27th. Be satisfied with going through Phoenix Tile and the other stores in the building.

I'd be mortified...

 
At 4:08 AM, June 10, 2009, Blogger SheyFey said...

I can't seem to find the time to vacuum. My house could go months with bits and pieces in the carpet and someday I will get around to vacuuming. (this applies to dusting also.)

My sister is just the opposite. She loves to vacuum. She used to do it several times a day but finally got meds...

 
At 4:08 AM, June 10, 2009, Blogger Lucy Lu said...

I'm perfect.

 
At 6:10 AM, June 10, 2009, Blogger UMRBlog said...

ObsComp is good in a housekeeper, bad in a relative or spouse.

TYFCB

 

Post a Comment

<< Home