Saturday, August 01, 2009

A LESSON IN PATIENCE: AUGUST 1

Sometimes the coach in me just takes over and I have to seize (pardon the trendy, sickening term) "teachable moments".

Around eleven this morning I was motoring along eastbound on State Street when I had to stop for a red light. The vehicle behind me was a very clean, nice large Chevy pickup. The light turned green for eastbound traffic and I pressed the gas gently. Apparently I didn't move into the intersection quickly enough to satisfy Mr. Chevy. He activated the horn, not once, but twice. Now I know it's bad for his heart to become that excited. I've read all that "type A behavior and your heart" stuff and I felt I owed to this fellow to "teachable moment" him. I'm sure he learned a lot between about 36th and about 46th following me at 18 miles an hour (with heavy westbound traffic blocking the potential passing lane). I'm sure he figured out, when I speeded up to 35 at about 46th to 48th that it was not inadvertent.

I'm proud to report that he showed no signs of road rage.

Mr. Chevy, you're welcome. You're heart's welcome. Live long and prosper. Oh, and one beep is impatient courtesy (or somewhat courteous impatience)...two is a body part.

3 Comments:

At 6:17 PM, August 01, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps an LA resident would have returned the favor in kind, with his own teachable moment ... on proper use of a full auto Glock through an open passenger window as traffic thinned in the more remote area approaching 48th.

I remember driving a friend a little crazy once, following them and blasting the horn the instant the light changed for about four lights in a row. I thought it was hilarious, but by the fourth light I think he was having a major bipolar moment, though his wife was still laughing.

The power of the horn...

 
At 7:00 AM, August 02, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But doesn't everybody drive about 20 in this town? Seems like it.

 
At 8:58 AM, August 02, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sure showed him. He probably went right home and disconnected his horn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home