Thursday, July 23, 2009

ENOUGH WITH THE PERSONALITIES!

I'm sure I've said this before but let me get it out of the way. I've got a relatively fixed opinion of every member of our local school board in terms of ability and integrity. Each of those fixed opinions is worthless in deciding what I think about this current board.

I don't care who the President likes and I don't care who walks to the car with Bemis after meetings. I really don't care too much that one member is a financial whiz and two others have advanced degrees. I really, really don't care why the previous president resigned. Finally, I don't care by whom, when, whether or why a quo warranto is filed regarding one member's eligibility to serve.

District 172 is essentially impecunious. That ship has sailed. Maybe it will always be broke. There is no useful answer any board member can give me about that. Broke is broke. Scarcity abounds.

Here's what I want to know from each board member: What's your vision of our schools in two years, five years, ten years and 50 years? Whatever that vision might be, how can us simple citizens see if we're on track to achieving it.

I thank all seven of these folks for their selfless public service. I don't question any of their motives. This new board is in its infancy. What does it want to be when it grows up? It seems a fair question.

4 Comments:

At 10:46 AM, July 24, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

impecunious definition | Dictionary.com
adjective: little or no money; penniless; poor.


No shit, had to look it up.

 
At 12:52 PM, July 24, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

People keep on telling me that the Board needs to come together and get school started. Whether the board is “getting along” is irrelevant to school starting. There is no need for official board action to start school in August thank goodness. We should have one more special meeting to address the class size issue in some of our buildings, however.

Nevertheless, the Board coming together is relevant to the two, five and ten year vision of the district. This will require the board to come together and I think we are working toward that end. Less discussion on the board president, hearing loss, harassment, ad hoc committees and whether a member can read and write would help the situation. These issues make for good media fodder, but not good governance.

Oh, and yes this board is only three months old, but it only has 21 months left to live. Everyone should keep in mind that in 2011 there will be four, maybe five, seats up for election.

 
At 1:04 PM, July 24, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah me too...I think Mr. C has an SAT word of the day calendar or something

 
At 3:20 PM, July 24, 2009, Blogger UMRBlog said...

CTL54,

I don't think you're saying anything much different from my original post. I understand the professionals can handle school day to day.

I am interested in "the Vision Thing."

TYFCB

 

Post a Comment

<< Home