Wednesday, April 30, 2008

QUINCY PAPERLESS NEWSPAPER, INC: REFLECTIONS OF A NON-JOURNALIST

If I were going to start a web-based news organ, I think I would ask myself, "What can I really hit out the park that the MSM can't?" I think that would mean, I wouldn't set the standard for myself that I was going to scoop the local MSM. What I could do was build detailed, thoughtful features, with research and quotes and stats. What I could do is follow up stories that happened a long time ago to see if people did what they said they would do. What I could do is analysis of governmental or NGO decisions which really effect people's lives. How many people, for example are going to be in tax default because of the Co. Treasurer's decision NOT to send the tax bill to the entity with the money (the bank). Follow-ups on stuff like that would be great and there is really no space limitation for me.

What I could do would be have cartoons which were fun and provocative but which could never make it in the MSM. What I could do would be have a video sampling of sermons or homilies from various church services. Maybe even one each Sunday? What I could do would be have interactive references for golf, bridge and tennis folks. Man, could I put together a TV Listing that would whack hell out of the MSM. Why couldn't I do video of selected local Tavern each week? What's wrong with a restaurant critic?

You'd best believe I'd offer to put up a listing of JWCC current courses.

And why couldn't I do my editorials on video, letters to the editor in audio?

In other words, I'd lose the "scoop" mentality and do stuff that made the most of my format.

I'd sure fix the blogs so comments would go through in less than two business days. I'd probably have more than one view point in my blogs, too.

But that's just me and, as I've said many times, I know nothing about journalism.






8 Comments:

At 3:17 PM, April 30, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Day 3 :

Bugs

I think the Bloggers set the "got the scoop" over what the paperless crew !

But stay tuned more to come

Pod casts etc etc etc

 
At 3:30 PM, April 30, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Audio - video is coming but ROME was not built in a day !

We had to launch . We had to become Johnny on the web , now with time , we will morph into our intended format .

The site visit numbers are strong and public feed back is great .

Bob is easy as pie to reach and I think is willing to discuss at length any future "wants or needs"

 
At 4:02 PM, April 30, 2008, Blogger UMRBlog said...

1530,

Whoa, there, pilgrim. This wasn't the complaint department. I was just thinking out loud about niche marketing.

TYFCB

 
At 4:03 PM, April 30, 2008, Blogger UMRBlog said...

1517,

I'm not sure I understand that one. Whatever your point is, I'm interested in it.

Mine was just that you're not gonna make any money trying to be faster than someone with a regional network, but you could make more being smarter and more interesting.

TYFCB

 
At 7:23 PM, April 30, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent suggestions Tony. Dropping the scoop mentality was the best and the scrutiny of NGO's was a close second. I'm particularly hoping for to a news source with a little less opinion and a lot more analysis.

 
At 8:22 PM, April 30, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ABC,

Thanks for the thoughts. We are a work in progress.

The more advertisers we get, the more toys we can get and the more people we can bring aboard to help.

A very reasonably priced "Anthony B. Cameron, attorney at law" banner ad would look great on QuincyNews.org.

Let me know when you would like that.

Bob

 
At 6:00 AM, May 01, 2008, Blogger UMRBlog said...

Gosh, cue "Cover of the Rolling Stone".

TYFCB

 
At 7:48 AM, May 01, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you know Shel Silverstein wrote that song?

I found that out while researching Shel after I'd read his books to my kids for the 1,000th time.

Back to the salt mine.

Bob

 

Post a Comment

<< Home