Tuesday, April 29, 2008

DR. SUTHERLAND

How much richer the greater basin is for having shared this difficult, cranky, eccentric, tempestuous, kind, civic-minded and generous man. And how much poorer we are for not having his strong voice for public health education and the untold medical service he provided pro bono.

I knew him about 40 years. About 30 years ago, we got into a spirited shouting contest over some comment he made about a friend of mine. I got unpleasant. He got unpleasant. He got louder. I got louder. Neither of us gave an inch. Finally, he just smiled and said "A man just has to do this once in awhile." Not knowing what else to say, I said "Take care of yourself, Doc. There's not another one like you out there!" He patted me on the arm, said "Ye're a good lad," got into his car and drove off laughing.

A couple of days later, an envelope came to my office. Inside was one page on a prescription pad. In his classic script, in blue fountain pen, he had written "We must visit more often".

As busy as he was, he'd write little notes when I had a special occasions. I'm blowing the ol' grouch's cover here. He was a warm, empathetic man.

He surely made life more interesting in the basin.

2 Comments:

At 1:40 PM, April 29, 2008, Blogger Rodney Hart said...

He was a good guy. When I did health stories for The Whig, I'd talk to him about prostate cancer. Usually I came back from the interview with a lot of good information but with the challenge of not offending anybody with his stories and quotes. I laughed a lot when I talked to him. Quincy will miss him!

 
At 2:02 PM, April 29, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed - gentle, kind, extremely civil & yet terribly Scottish.
I've known him for more than 20 years and he will be missed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home