Friday, August 31, 2007

FANTASY LEAGUE: BETTER SPORTS FANS OR A DIVERSION FROM "THE POINT"

I've been on both sides of this one.

A lot of people feel Fantasy Geeks enjoy a heightened thrill from their fanhood. Others say they concentrate on stuff that's off the point of who wins, who loses, who's in the hunt and who needs to bit the bullet and play their rookies.

People are rabid about this whole topic. I have two conclusions. For myself, I'm a better, more knowledgeable sports fan when I'm not in a fantasy league. Second, for some reason, Fantasy Football Geeks remain better informed team sport fans than Rotisserie Baseball Geeks (who for the most part can't even tell you who is leading the respective divisions.). Maybe this is just because Baseball is played at such differing start times and Football's homogenized on start times.

What say you?

4 Comments:

At 7:26 AM, August 31, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the fantasy stuff has gotten way, way out of hand. Every time the big game comes u, all you hear is people mumbling about their fantasy team, who they are playin, etc. Who cares. At one point I considered printing up cards & giving them out when peolpe spout off saying: "No one cares about who's on your fing fantasy team, any more than they care about your pedigree or your medical problems, or how many bowell movements you've had today. So shut the f up".

 
At 8:27 AM, August 31, 2007, Blogger UMRBlog said...

0726,

Good additional point. Deep fantasy geeks can be crashing bores. I was in a well known restaurant in Springfield a few years ago when three guys were asked to leave because they became so heated in their discussion of some esoteric point regarding stolen bases.

At that time, I was in a roti league and even I was bored cross-eyed at their conversation. And, as you say, in a one-on-one conversation, once they start up, it's like being rabbit punched every minute while already having a toothache or something. Very good point.

TYFCB

 
At 9:17 AM, August 31, 2007, Blogger TOOKIE said...

I do not play any fantasy league crap . I read the stats because frankly I love to . I don't care about one player's performance if my real TEAM loses .

Same way I do not like "spreads" I don't Barney Bet so I only care bout wins/loses !



I think the FL's have added to the mad Ego's of pro sports . These are all team sports .



Just my 2 cents for what it's worth while adding in inflation and the free floating dollar over the international money fund divided the by the inflated and under valued Yen .

 
At 5:26 PM, September 03, 2007, Blogger Rocky Cola said...

I am in a Fantasy Football league and a ESPN pick em against the spread.
But the most interesting thing is I have become more of a college football fan because of it. I am not sure why, maybe to gear myself up for the draft every year?
By the way, I have LT ! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home