Friday, May 04, 2007

CAN/SHOULD BOXING BE SAVED?

Cards on the table: I grew up with boxing. My father was a professional boxer. He sponsored some boxers after his retirement from the game. It was always a thrill when he would take me with him to "Marigold" on fight night.

From the time I was eight until I joined the military, I could tell you who the top ranked ten fighters were in each weight class. I loved boxing. Of course, I loved it from a distance because I developed an instant distaste for being punched in the nose. Early on, baseball was my participation game and Boxing was my spectator sport (usually with my Dad).

Anyway, then Ali beat Liston and the Earth Moved. Boxing's Vegas days were born.

Now, something's missing. It's a sport populated at the high weights by Russians and run by thugs. There is no real television coverage. Nobody outside of New York and Las Vegas ever talks about it again. Medical Learning suggests boxing should no longer be a licensed profession (Of course, Ultimate Fighting is doing fine.).

Now we're hearing the easy Question "Can De La Hoya Save Boxing?". I think the better question is "Should Boxing be Saved?" I'm ambivalent. The sport I once loved may properly be a dinosaur.

Is that as it should be? What say you? I'm persuadable.

8 Comments:

At 7:32 PM, May 04, 2007, Blogger Rocky Cola said...

the big question is will QCC have this event on Saturday night ?

 
At 8:00 PM, May 04, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was never a fan, but as far as I can tell boxing died a long time ago. Even "Rocky" and Mike Tyson at his prime couldn't save it.

You answered your own question; switch to UFC. I love it!

 
At 4:45 PM, May 05, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So many boxing matches. So few worth remembering. Makes me sad I didn't stay with the professional wrestling gig I did in Missouri. More value for your entertainment dollar at a wrestling match than any boxing match. And you don't have to wonder if a fight is fixed. Just let yourself go for a couple hours and have fun.

 
At 5:25 PM, May 05, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watching the golf this week - looked like there was tension Tiger to Stevie) during the play. I did not see Tiger shake his hand - I could be wrong, but my impression.

 
At 5:13 PM, May 06, 2007, Blogger JoeBama "Truth 101" Kelly said...

You think Tiger is still pissed at the wrong yardage, or club selection at #17 at The Masters?

 
At 6:16 AM, May 07, 2007, Blogger UMRBlog said...

O,

Yes but I think it is deeper than that. When Tiger gag-hooked it into the left woods on 13 during the Friday round, Stevie folded his arms around his chest and stood as far from Eldrick as he could get away with, as if to say "I told the stupid SOB not to try and draw a three wood around the corner. This isn't my fault. I can't help it if this prima donna can't follow simple instructions."

There was no bond there. Eldrick/Earl have always tended to terminate people they thought were flying too high (Fluff, Butch, the first Sports Psychologist, the first Agent, the first Club company) People tend to live their life script in patterns. Signs are all over the place that it's about time for this Act of the Play to end.

TYFCB

 
At 6:44 AM, May 07, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

6:16

Eric Berne would be proud!

When I was a kid, I remember the "glory days" of boxing in the 70's, Ali, Frazier, Holmes. Seems like there was a big fight every year that evevy one would be talking about for weeks before and after. Don King ruined all that, & the three differant "sanctioning bodies", whatever they are. Know your have 2/3 champs, 1/3 champs, etc. Great topic!

 
At 12:59 PM, May 08, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A terrific bio of Larry Holmes on TV yesteday - what a guy and still going strong today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home