Saturday, August 05, 2006

LIEBERMAN AND LAMONT: A RACE ABOUT YESTERDAY'S NEWSPAPER

Ned LaMont is gonna beat Joe Lieberman or Joe Lieberman is gonna pull it out. Great. Have a nice election and let me know how it comes out. I get all that.

All the internal cross tabs in almost every poll except Texas (even Utah) shows that both Democrats and Independents are looking for Democrats to vote for. Thus I understand the DFA's ardor for LaMont. Also, anybody who's read here for a while knows that I believe the DLC gambit only works if your last name's Clinton. No card trick works for everybody. You probably get that. From me you get it ad nauseam.

Here's what I don't get. The principal issue in that campaign seems to be whether the idea of virtually singehandedly invading Iraq was a good idea. Good Lord! Is there anybody out there undecided on that Issue? These guys are stuck on that topic and not even talking productively on the essential topic: "Now that we're there, what the Hell do we do now?"

As nearly as I can tell, Liebermann's answer is "Bitch at the the President!" and LaMont's is "Retreat!". Surely a State full of Yalies can do better than that.

4 Comments:

At 7:39 AM, August 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're voting as I write. Any bets? National news says Joe baby coming on strong in last few days.

By the way, why are we wasting time on Joe in Conn.? We live in Illinois where we should be commenting on and scolding Turbin Durbin the whore the dems adore.

 
At 9:22 AM, August 08, 2006, Blogger UMRBlog said...

There's no question JL recaptured labor and blacks. NL went into the four corners too early and I don't know that there's enough limousine liberals in W. Conn. to pull him through. My SWAG is Lieberman by about two.

Having said that, I have seen DFA's voter turnout effort in primaries before. If Lieberman doesn't match that ground game, he could still snatch defeat from the very jaws of victory.

My take on Durbin is that he's a very easy blog target. He's a little like Jerry Leggett: virtues with the volume turned up, shortcomings with the volume turned up. I happen to like him very much personally so it's easy for me to emphasize the virtues.

Thanks for Coming By.

 
At 10:30 AM, August 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When Durbin was first elected our rep., I think he did a good job for the district despite his liberal slant. When he first went to the senate he changed somewhat. When elected to a significate leadership role, he comepletely sold out. He and Dean now have a lot in common. Fortunately, however, Dick is glib and doesn't scream as well.

 
At 4:28 PM, August 13, 2006, Blogger UMRBlog said...

Anon,

Don't do any big deal but how about your top three votes of Durbin that p!ssed you off. You seem to have followed his career closely so three should be no strain.

I've got your conclusion but I'm trying to understand your reasoning.

I'll check back.

TYFCB

 

Post a Comment

<< Home