Thursday, June 22, 2006

THE PRESIDENT DID A GREAT THING--AND I DON'T MIND SAYING SO

First, little-known fact. My congressperson, my senior year in High School, used her one appointment to the United States Merchant Marine Academy on eighteen year old me. We all have personal heroes and one of mine was a senior at the MMA while I was a senior in HS. Following in his footsteps seemed like a cool thing. About half way through the fitness test (which was kind of a quadathlon, swimmming, rowing, running and running stairs), I wasn't sure it was gonna be such a swell idea but I passed and was appointed. Due to a sports injury and what seemed a superior opportunity, I ended up declining the appointment, even got a "thank you" note from the guy who took my place. Still, I've always had a special appreciation for the Academy and for Merchant Commanders in general.

I knew that the MMA has never gotten the attention that the three principal military academies get but didn't realize that, until last week, a sitting president has Never addressed its commencement. Well, President Bush broke that chain and he is to be admired for it. As anti-terrorism becomes increasingly important, we are going to require Merchant Commanders of the highest integrity and acuity. The president's recognition of the Academy will help educate people on its importance to that effort and to the U.S.'s balance of trade.

Well Done, Mr. President. And congratulations to this proud institution for its role in world peace and trade.

2 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, June 23, 2006, Blogger Dave Victor said...

You can wack this post, check this out if ou haven't seen it

http://www.nbc4.com/news/9411175/detail.html

 
At 7:02 AM, June 24, 2006, Blogger UMRBlog said...

Thank you. I saw the interview on the Today Show. The guy was a stitch. Took him six years to graduate and he set the Academy Record for demerits, but he, by God Made it.

The President did a great thing here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home