Wednesday, May 20, 2009

THE CULTURE COARSENS WHILE THE VOCABULARY EXPANDS

20 years ago, if somebody said they'd been "keyed," we wouldn't have had the vaguest idea what they were talking about. Today, we hear "keyed" we picture car key scraping clearcoated finish in the dark.

It's a shame we can now share that common understanding. He have bred ( a large mea culpa here. I originally wrote "bread" and a thoughtful commenter gently corrected me--either I was hungry or my own culture is coarsening) so many sneaky, vengeful dorks that the "key" is now commonplace.

God Help Us.

6 Comments:

At 5:53 AM, May 20, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really making nouns into verbs is the thing to do these days. "googled" "Facebooked" "keyed" When will it stop?

 
At 9:24 PM, May 20, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Googled at least has a certain level of legitimacy. It is fully possible to google something, i.e. to use a search engine online to obtain information.

But the others....ugh.

I mean, "keyed"?! What, you unlocked your car?

 
At 9:24 PM, May 20, 2009, Blogger Rocky Cola said...

I thought Alan Keyes toured with Van Halen last summer....

 
At 5:26 AM, May 21, 2009, Blogger UMRBlog said...

You're definitely not leaning into this!!

TYFCB

 
At 3:01 PM, May 21, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh, Tony, check your spelling. I think you mean "bred."

 
At 3:06 PM, May 21, 2009, Blogger UMRBlog said...

Now I am faced with a dilemma. I can fix and be correct, or leave it there and nobody will know what the heck your comment was about. I will fix it with a footnote.

TYFCB with actual help.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home