Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A DOWNTOWN HISTORIC ATTITUDE LESSON IN QUINCY

As everybody in the basin knows, a very nice, historic building in downtown was destroyed by fire this week. A truly sad thing, there is no denying it.

Next door, on the other side of the firewall is a relatively new niche restaurant called "My Koog". Even though it is right across the street from my workplace, I have never patronized it or even been in it. (Sorry, creature of habit). Neither had I met the guy who runs it. But I think him for providing an example that I will take into the new year.

His business is watered and wet. He can't open until demolition of the next door building is done. Yet he just talks positively about reopening on that spot and all the work he's going to do to get things up and running. I mean this guy makes Norman Vincent Peale look like a whiner!

Guaranteed, that guy reopens, I will find something I like to eat there and become a regular customer. He set an example about handling adversity. I could probably never live up to his great mental approach but I will remember it and try.

When you open up, Buddy, I want to meet you and thank you for the best holdiday gift anybody could have given....a reminder of how a real man acts in a tough spot. I'll be there with cash and carryout orders for the office.

7 Comments:

At 1:43 PM, December 31, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your best post yet.

 
At 10:46 AM, January 02, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He and his wife are amazing people. And they make incredibly good food!

Must be something in the water in Alsace (it's on the French/German border :) because they are about the 5th family I've met from there and they are all like this.

Nothing gets them down or keeps them down.

 
At 7:43 PM, January 02, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frederic and his wife do really great food, Tony. Keep your word to try when they reopen.

 
At 12:38 PM, January 03, 2009, Blogger UMRBlog said...

Count on it.

I'm discussing something a bit more ambitious with other bloggers. Hope to dust it off soon.

TYFCB

 
At 12:33 PM, January 04, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

UMR...I got to go into that building recently, I certainly hope they can get that place reopened, but they got a lot of work to do to get rid of the smoke odor, stays in clothes for days

 
At 8:02 AM, January 07, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If this guy's attitude is foreign to you, you need to get away from the protected confines of City Hall more often. Most people I know demostrate this attitude daily.

 
At 12:41 PM, January 07, 2009, Blogger UMRBlog said...

0802,

I was praising the guy and admitting that I didn't know if I could be as graceful under that much adversity. You can jam that into your political template any place you want.

Oh, I'm so happy for you that your friends just ooze positive thinking. Wonder why they hang out with a stereotyper like you.

TYFCB

 

Post a Comment

<< Home