Thursday, November 20, 2008

I BEG YOUR PARDON

Bush goes to great pains to be the "Un-Clinton" so I think we can expect fewer exit pardons and more organized pardons.

Given how close the S&L thing hit to the Bush family, I'm guessing he will have some sympathy for long-rehabilitated financial criminals. For example, I like Michael Milken's chances.

Even though the law places no fetters on the presidents clemency powers, my guess is that the administration treats the Justice Dept's guidelines as if they were law. As a consequence, I doubt if the two INS agents who shot the dope dealer get any kind of clemency. They don't meet standards.

Libby doesn't have an application on file and I doubt that W would tarnish his legacy by going any further than he already has on that one.

W. has been stingy with clemency. It will be interesting, given his recovery background, to see if he pardons some drug cases and some addiction-based offenses.

In an act of incredible cheek, John Walker Lindh, has an application on file. Johnny Boy, I don't like your chances.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home