Sunday, September 07, 2008

THR RIP CITY LIQUIDATORS' TRAVELING SALVATION SHOW PLAYS QUINCY

Observations from the OLC "Liquidators" extravaganza:

Authenticity--I wonder what percentage of the watches and other items were knockoffs. I'd be shocked if it were anything under eighty.

Warmth--If there were any way the vendors could have been more rude and abusive, I can't think of it. If someone asked them a question about their merch, the standard response was "we're cutting deals here!"--as in "pay up or get out!"

Stuff--wonder who owned this crap before it was "liquidated"? Wonder if the guys selling have any ownership interest in it at all.

Bathing-- Would have been a good idea for all staff but particularly the "greeter" at the door. Good idea to have exact change because he picks his nose before he hands back change.

Armament--CrossBows, Oriental Swords, Kendo sticks, nunchaks, throwing stars and Bowie knives. Given that half of the audience when I was there consisted of convicted felons, I'd say Quincy now has the best armed criminal contingent of any downstate city. But, By God, the liqies made sure they didn't sell that stuff to anyone under 18. What a show of responsibility.

Bait and Switch--A few years ago, we had a responsible liquidation company come to town occasionally. Their people were presentable, their sales presentation orderly and mostly they spoke English. Maybe those people sold out. Maybe these people are imposters. Beats me. All I know is that I used to worry when the Carnies came to town. If had to choose between these folks again and the Carnies, bring on the Carnies.

Glad I saw it because I couldn't have believed it. I hope it was a big payday for the OLC because it was not much of a community event.

6 Comments:

At 6:37 PM, September 07, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get a warm fuzzy knowing our civic center was built to be used for these types of functions.

On the other hand, they have a quota to meet and the board probably never specifically said NOT to seek this type client.

 
At 7:50 PM, September 07, 2008, Blogger UMRBlog said...

In fairness, the last liqies in here were clean and pleasant and they even had a decent explanation about how they acquired their stuff.

This was am equine of a different hue.

 
At 9:46 AM, September 09, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always wonder how many of them folks have warrants.

Also, hope they didn't charge to get in.

 
At 9:47 AM, September 09, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of "Animal House",

"They confiscated eveything, even the stuff we didn't steal!"

 
At 9:48 AM, September 09, 2008, Blogger UMRBlog said...

Yeah, they did.

That was my point about the guy with no bath. It was five dollars to get in. You did not want to give him a ten, because he picked his nose before handing back your $5 change.

All told, a charming experience.

 
At 8:29 AM, September 10, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always thought, too, that a good copyright lawyer would have a field day at one of these things.

Polo, Jack Daniels, and Tommy need to get w/ the program, Nike too (and whatever else is cool now, I don't know, i'm out of touch)! LOL

Great post, though, you do have a sense of humor!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home