Thursday, August 21, 2008

GENE UPSHAW

Pancreatic Cancer has gotten way too many people I like or were otherwise close to me.

I spent precisely seven and one half hours with Gene Upshaw in our lifetimes. Three hour business meeting, 30 minute business meeting several years later and a four hour round of golf. He had a will of iron, great listening skills and really not much of sense of humor.

I admired the guy and found him fascinating. He was just not the kind of guy you think about in terms of sudden illness and death. He was such a rock and so confident.

Now all those guys who wanted to change the way the NFLPA does business will get their wish. Be careful what you ask for. You might get it.

1 Comments:

At 9:41 PM, August 22, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a football fan I too am surprised and shocked at the death of Gene Upshaw. But I am very surprised that you have not mentioned the retirement of Emil Jones. And the $500,000.00 that he may get to pocket when he retires.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home