Sunday, October 28, 2007

CHICAGO BEARS GIVE ME THE GIFT OF TIME

From the time I was a small boy, my Autumn Sundays were built around the Chicago Bears' broadcast (then radio). My disposition was pretty much dependent upon how they played and how they fared. Once, when they were upset badly by the Chicago Cardinals and the incomparable Ollie Matson, I just stayed under the covers until school in the morning ("The Bears Ate My Homework").

It wasn't much different last year. If the Bears were playing, I was switched on, living and dying with every play. I loved that they cared so much and has so much pride. I was not distracted by the Grossman controversy. This team was completely invested in what they were doing.

Looking at it in the rear view mirror, it all really began to unwind in the last regular season game against Green Bay. I have always believed a team cannot decide to mail it in one day and play hard the next on a consistent basis. That day, they mailed it in.

Now, coming into their "bye" week, they just don't care. This team is neither well prepared nor energetic. Statistically, they are not eliminated from playoff contention but emotionally they are.

I care as much as they care. That means I now have the gift of Sunday afternoons to work at home, at the office or even hit some golf balls. Someone let me know next year when the real Bears and "SmashMouth" football return to Chicago. I don't know these guys.

4 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, October 29, 2007, Blogger Rodney Hart said...

How about giving some credit to my beloved Detroit Lions? After years of inept coaching and a GM who can't count the toes on his left foot, the Lions are finally doing something right. They have a coach who can motivate, a young and hungry defense, a quarterback who would rather block than pass and perhaps the most underrated running back in the NFL.

However, I've been a fan far too long to get too excited just yet.

 
At 11:44 AM, October 29, 2007, Blogger UMRBlog said...

Rodney,

Fair Point. Very dedicated Big Uglies both ways. Under the current NFL rules, Large Wideouts are a huge advantage and the Lions have them in abundance.

Lions also got their "away game" bugaboo out of the way. Hold your breath when they play some more AFC W competition, however.

TYFCB

 
At 4:29 PM, October 29, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, the pain you have evoked by mentioning 'THE MATSON GAME" I was there freezing my rear end (and several other parts) off in the freezing drizzle. It seemed that whenever Matson got the ball (which was all too often) the air would be filled with unfilled Bear jock straps - the owners having been faked right out of them. The game was at old Comiskey Park and the long, long, long drive home on Ice coated roads was additional torment.

This year it's time for me to say about the Bears what I've said about my Cubbies since 45 --"Wait til next year". As Charlie Brown would say' RATS!

 
At 8:04 PM, October 29, 2007, Blogger UMRBlog said...

Hankster,

What makes it worse is I had a chance to get to know Ollie later. Nicest, most modest guy you could ever want to know. Somehow, that made it worse.

TYFCB

 

Post a Comment

<< Home