Thursday, August 16, 2007

DATELINE MT. STERLING--BROWN COUNTY CIRCUIT JUDGE LOCAL ELECTION: JUDICIAL TEXAS HOLD 'EM

Circuit Judge David Slocum will retire at the end of this year. He is a treasure in more ways than we can cover here. He is that rare judge who starts his career pretty good and continues to improve. He will be missed.

BUT, that's not what this column is about. It's about the race to succeed him. The election is in November of '08.

One assumes Associate Judge Lagoski will run for the Resident Circuit Judge position being vacated by Judge Slocum. She will be a formidable Democrat candidate in many ways. She also has nothing to lose by running and every reason to throw her hat into the old ring. Whether any democrats will oppose her in the primary, I don't know but I'd guess it's unlikely.

It just so happens that the other race up at that same time is for State's Attorney. That office is occupied by a talented, presentable and ambitious young man named Jerry Hooker. Almost without doubt, he could be easily re-elected. He understandably craves a judicial post. To run for the Judgeship, he must abandon his secure elected position. Under any circumstances, it looks like a tough decision from here. Lawyers tend to be risk-averse creatures. Much of what we do is helping others avoid or minimize risks. It would have seemed out of character for Hooker to give up the security of the SAO for a tough run at a judgeship.

But, he went, "all in". This week he announced he'll seek the judgeship. If he loses, he ends up with an empty bucket. If he wins, then he was rewarded for a ballsy call.

Lost in all this is the State's Attorney's Office of Brown County. From 1980 to the present, the People of Brown County have been well represented in court. I hope that continues. Even though it's a very small county, it is in meth country and there is a prison there. Effective prosecution impacts the quality of peoples' lives.

There are some more layers to this, but I must soldier on in court. Perhaps more later.

7 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, August 16, 2007, Blogger TOOKIE said...

I would be interested in this if "________________" ......


feel free to fill in the blank .


But I have heard nothing but great things about the judge that is leaving for the great fishing hole in the sky retirement .

 
At 6:59 AM, August 18, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What names are floating around for the SA position?

 
At 6:45 PM, August 18, 2007, Blogger UMRBlog said...

0659,

Pure rumor mill stuff but I've heard four names: Adrian, Gilsdorf, Leonard and a very young man who is not at all a public figure so I won't out him.

TYFCB

 
At 7:09 AM, August 19, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you didn't post my comment, you must have thought I was talking about the young Jones kid in the Adams County Courthouse. I was referring to Bob Jones from Rushville.

It never occurred to me that the other Jones was interested in that position. Interesting.

 
At 9:03 AM, August 19, 2007, Blogger UMRBlog said...

0709,

Never got a comment from you. Haven't whacked a comment from ANYBODY since 2006.

Bob Jones is a very dear friend of mine and I haven't heard even the morsel of suggestions he's interested. That would be a pretty nice private practice to give up.

The young man to whom I have reference is not a Jones.

Please resend your comment and I'll be glad to post it. Don't know what happened but I didn't whack you.

TYFCB and your comments are welcome here

 
At 3:10 PM, August 19, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My original post was the following:

Adrian, Gilsdorf, Leonard and Jones.

So, when I saw your post which almost exactly paralled mine, with the exception of the "very young man" comment, I thought you were talking about the Jones kid.

I was talking about Bob Jones. I, too, have heard the four names mentioned above in the rumor mill around town. I have not heard the other Jones name mentioned.

Hope this clears this up.

 
At 8:59 PM, August 19, 2007, Blogger UMRBlog said...

I get it and I never saw that comment. Don't know where it went.

For the record, I had not heard Bob Jones at all and the "very young man" to whom I had reference does not currently practice law in the 8th Circuit.

Sorry for the the confusion. At least I didn't say anybody was "Jonesin'" for the job.

TYFCB

 

Post a Comment

<< Home