Saturday, November 04, 2006

HAGGARD, BUT NOT MERLE

"I never had sexual relations with that.....uh.....man!"

Haven't we seen this script before?

The fellow seems to have a nice family and a good heart. I hope he gets his poop in a group sometime in the future. I also hope he hasn't compromised his health or that of his wife.

When we put a mortal man so far "above" us other mortals, it puts him danger of falling from a high place. Swaggart, Bakker, even Jack Welch. We're all imperfect. The high flyers just fall harder and more publicly. They're not hypocrites, they're just flawed human beings, just like the rest of us. Our flaws may come in different spheres, but we've all got 'em.

Get well, Pastor. Remember the tale of Icarus and don't fly so high next time.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 7:47 PM, November 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to disagree with you, but this fellow is more that a hypocrite. I might need to do some reading, but, it seems like too many of these folks up on the pulpet, urge godly behavior only to fall very hard. I can start the list with the Baker and Tammy Fae Baker ordeal.

 
At 10:40 AM, November 06, 2006, Blogger UMRBlog said...

Oh, there are no limits on the "Elmer Gantry" stories.

My point is that we all have human limitations, are all imperfect. This fellow's godliness is not for me to judge. In an earthly way, I just hope his family can avoid a crash-landing and he can find a way to use his skills to help other people succumbing to secret lives. Whether he gets right with his Heavenly Father is between the Pastor and the Father.

I guess you could say his behavior was hypocritical, but whose isn't. Who among us has met all his obligations perfectly at all times?

BTW, that doesn't mean your outrage is displaced. Just behaviorially, whether it's this bird or Jimmy Swaggart or Bakkers, you can't help but be gassed, on a human level, when some holier-than-thou type acts out. Getting past that involves a whole bunch of scriptural duties, that are, frankly, sometimes hard to carry out. I'll give you that much.

Thanks for the comment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home