Sunday, February 19, 2006

IN THE FACE OF CHOICES: IF YOU'RE
GONNA BE A BEAR, BE A GRIZZLY
Most local folks may not realize it, but Jon McCoy is very good friend of mine. We don't see each other a lot but, if he needed any help in any phase of his personal life, he knows I'd give it. Likewise, if I called him to help with a problem, he'd be there. That's hard for some of my friends to process because Jon and I haven't always been such a good mix. Still, for the last twenty years or so, I have been glad to call him "friend".
Now, he's in elective politics and he wants to take another friend's job. That's his right. That's the process. But that brings us to the guy whose job he wants. Brent Fischer is my friend, my ballplayer, arguably my party's titular head. On the merits, I don't see where he's brought anything but credit to the office. In my book, he's an admirable person who keeps improving himself.
Both guys have fine families but I've been friends with the Fischers since Brent was 11.
Politics makes citizens choose between friends. In my case, it's not just how to vote. When I support a general election candidate, I'm in it up to my elbows. So I'm with the Fishman till the last dog dies. You won't hear me say a bad word about Jon McCoy, the man, but you won't have any trouble telling who I support. Jon won't be surprised. That's just the process.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home