Friday, February 17, 2006

MIXED MENU: BLAGO ADDENDUM AND WORLD BASEBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS
Yesterday I might have been a little hard on the Governor. It's only because I wish he'd humanize himself a little so people could see how good his intentions really are. I supported him in the '02 primary and the general and was proud to attend his inauguration. There's nothing wrong with his heart or mind. I just wish, about once a month, he'd go to a coffee shop or a Legion Hall or a grain elevator and chew the fat with real people for a few minutes.
He's had to dig us out of a huge hole financially so he's still struggling to get his brand on some programs. History will probably credit him with being the Gov. who emphasized shrinking government through use of applicable technology. It would be nice if he got another term to actually lead the state somewhere. The poor guy has just spent four years patching holes in the boat he inherited from Ryan. So, if I left any doubt yesterday, I was just calling on my friend to improve his style. There's no doubt he's going to get my vote two more times, March and November.
FROM THE REALLY BAD BASEBALL IDEAS FILE
The "World Baseball Championship" sounds so cool, how could one be against it. Because it is just a slapdash idea by Bud Selig to take the focus off of steroid abuse? Because it is a gambit to prevent the excellent baseball-playing world (Japan in particular but Taiwan, Korea and Australia are coming fast) from having a professional team in a real World Series? Because it comprehensively screws up Spring Training for the established, attractive produc, MLB? Because ARod or Jeter or Ivan Rodriguez might be lost to their teams for a year due to an injury in these mere exhibition games? Yeah, those are all pretty good reasons.
Having said that, one good thing will come out of it. We will get to see the fantastic talent still playing baseball, anonymous to the world, in Cuba. One of the tragic features of Cuba's outlaw status is the number great baseball talents the world has never gotten to see. Still a bad idea but I'll watch the Cubans play anybody.

6 Comments:

At 12:46 PM, February 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enough with the font changes. Chriminy... it's giving me a seizure!!!

 
At 12:47 PM, February 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Comment moderation has been enabled. All comments must be approved by the blog author.

The great Tony Cameron... arbitor of civility!!

 
At 1:39 PM, February 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blago wasn't just left with ryan's mess, but 24 YEARS of mismanagement by the repubs. He does deserve another term to continue to rescue us from the Illinois version of reaganomics. (That word is hard enough to say out loud, much less take the time to write. UGH!)

 
At 1:50 PM, February 18, 2006, Blogger UMRBlog said...

Anon 246

You're right. It's not intentional. I'm working to improve. EBlogger's WYSISWYG works a little differently from what I'm used to. I'll try to fix the old ones and make the new ones better.

Stay with me and I'll try not to create anymore symptoms.

 
At 1:55 PM, February 18, 2006, Blogger UMRBlog said...

Anon 247

I'm going to write about comment moderation in early March. I hope you'll consider what I have to say and how arrived at the conclusion that I have to reserve moderation. So far, I haven't refused a post, including yours.

You indirectly raise another interesting point by incorrectly spelling "arbitor". One who decides a point at issue between two parties (Like a Baseball Umpire) is an "arbiter". One who decides an entire controversy between two parties to conclusion is an "arbitrator". Why the difference? Beats the heck out of me!

 
At 2:02 PM, February 18, 2006, Blogger UMRBlog said...

anon 339

You could not be any more correct. The State was financially disabled by at least three major debt-based capital programs over the preceding 26 years. I only mentioned Ryan to keep the piece from getting any longer.

That approach to government has really had an impact on Western Illinois Legislative Politics. LKD and Art Tenhouse have never run for office based upon any higher principles. It has always been about how much cement the incumbent has brought into the district.

I guess fair's fair. John Sullivan has gotten to announce a prison opening and a big lick at WIU. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home