Sunday, September 20, 2009

COACH T: ALL MAN AT A TOUGH TIME

First, let me get my biases out of the way. Bill Terlisner and I are not close friends. We have a very close friend in common and I do know and like Bill.

I should add that, since Bill's becoming the Head Coach, we have not had nearly as much police business from QU's football scholar-athletes. That's a credit to the football program's values--and its leaders.

Coach has always been a fantastic post-game interview. Really the best I've ever heard. He's clever, analytical, polite and funny (when appropriate). He will evaluate his teams (O,D, Special) fairly on a dime. He'll be gracious about the other team. He rarely rips an official. He emphasizes personal responsibility.

But it's really in adversity that you learn what's inside of somebody. Coach's interview after Saturday's bitter defeat (and after he was let down again by Special Teamers) was smart, dignified, truthful but still conveyed his disappointment.

If I ran a small university, I think I'd get this guy under contract

3 Comments:

At 6:54 AM, September 21, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And a DB (also let down by). When did "don't let anybody get behind ya" turn into "lets give the guy a 30 yard start and chase him to the end zone".

 
At 3:01 PM, September 21, 2009, Blogger UMRBlog said...

Notice that he refused to re-toast the DB, saying only that the Defense had held up its end all day.

What a man!

TYFCB

 
At 12:26 PM, September 24, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terlisner may be Mother Teresa off the field, but he's won just 39% of the time in 10 years.

QU is not a well coached program, see failures in all three phases of the game against William Penn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home