Saturday, March 07, 2009

MUSING ON STRANGE DEATH AND THE "HANG OUT" FACTOR

Just got word that an old teammate of mine got killed in a gruesome sawmill accident. Haven't seen the guy in years and I'm not really grieving, just kind of focusing on it probably isn't actuarially a good thing to have hung out with me in my younger years. Just some samples:

Good buddy, Sophomore at Denver U, got his girlfriend back in Illinois Pregnant. Dashing back on a three day weekend to marry her before she started to show and attempting to drive straight through, fell asleep and wishboned a bridge rail. Never saw his daughter born and never married her mother.

Good Buddy, freshman @ Georgia Tech, went hiking, killed by a flash flood. Hadn't rained in four days.

Good Buddy, Became a multimillionaire at 35, moved to Finland. Fell through the bottom of a sauna into a pool and drowned.

Good Buddy, Returned from Vietnam, 20 months of hostile fire and not a scratch. Killed at LAX the day he returned when the guy bringing his rental car around for him ran him over instead.

Teammate, hit in the head by an orange dropped from a tall building. Blood clot formed. Died three weeks later.

Teammate, actually, married my first serious girlfriend, loading a truck with exotic game meat, driver backed over him and killed him.

Former co-worker, walking his date to her car in a nightclub parking lot. Jealous boyfriend, incorrectly believing date and car were his cheating girlfriend opened fire at her, missed her, head shot him, killed instantly. Shooter and girl were unaquainted.

Former co-worker, diabetic, committed suicide by purposely ingesting something like three pounds of M&M's and refusing to call 911 when the obvious happened. Left a note.

Teammate, engineer and Grand Prix driver, coming home from work at a very slow pace, ducked a deer and flipped his Porshe off an embankment. Fall didn't kill him. Drowned in two feet of water with a car on top of him.

I haven't spun any bad mo-jo in a while but, if you hung out with me during my first 30 or so years on the planet, make sure your term life is paid up.

This is a not an exhaustive list.

6 Comments:

At 10:23 AM, March 08, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your life is an agatha christie novel

 
At 1:20 PM, March 08, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were in law school at Iowa City with Mr. Examiner, but I thank the gods he still lives---although I'm calling our insurance agent on Monday. ;-)

 
At 4:14 PM, March 08, 2009, Blogger UMRBlog said...

Then I liked him because there was literally nobody there I didn't like.

I seemed to have the Angel of Death effect more on people I knew before I went into the military and some during.

The strange thing is (and I've blogged about this before) I've been shot twice and stabbed once and I didn't die. Guess I'm just a carrier.

TYFCB and best of health to your S.O.

 
At 12:26 PM, March 09, 2009, Blogger observer said...

Would you please provide your home address and your work address.
I want to make sure I don't go anywhere near you. yikes !

 
At 6:50 PM, March 09, 2009, Blogger observer said...

This is all very interesting, but it might be time again to get your sandbag on.

Stay away from my sandbag station !!!

 
At 12:10 PM, March 12, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who was the Grand Prix driver?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home