Monday, December 10, 2007

I'M WAITING FOR, NOT "ON", A FINAL GRAMMARIAN'S OPINION

Over the weekend, I heard a number of educated commentators, local and Regional, say somebody
(say, the city administration or the rank and file State Legislators) is "waiting on" someone else (Commission or Legislative leadership) to take such and such an action.

When I was in High School, several semesters ago, I was taught you never, I mean never, said "Waiting on".....it was always "waiting for" Almost nothing was regarded as more ignorant.

So, I ask you: Has "waiting on" become accepted usage for anything but table service, or is it still ignorant?

OK, my neighbor happens to be the grammar police and I could just ask him. That's no fun. He'll just give me the right answer (he's always right). I want to hear from all the smart folks in the blogospher.

Yeah, soft topic but give me a break. There are about three great things I can't ethically write about and I'm tired of writing about national politics.

Grammar Police Deputies, Ya'll come.

5 Comments:

At 7:07 AM, December 10, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

See Mick Jagger:

"I'm not waiting on lady, I'm just waiting on a friend"

 
At 12:47 PM, December 10, 2007, Blogger Allthenewsthatfits said...

UMR, you are correct. I wouldn't go so far as to say that "waiting on" is ignorant, but it's still nonstandard.

 
At 6:57 PM, December 10, 2007, Blogger UMRBlog said...

"ignorant" was not my word but is how I was taught. I suspect your take is best, yet I have heard two different news writers use "waiting on" on TV talk opportunities just in the last two weeks and have actually seen it in print in the Whig in the last month.

Small thing, perhaps but drives me semi-batty.

TYFCB

 
At 7:56 AM, December 11, 2007, Blogger Rodney Hart said...

Right on, ABC.

Oops. Write on.

 
At 7:54 AM, December 13, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ignorance is curable...In most cases anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home