Tuesday, October 02, 2007

COACH WOSMAN

I talk, perhaps too much, about the outstanding leaders produced by the Quincy YMCA youth programs under the leadership of Dick Chapin and the tireless volunteer work of guys like Bob Bush, Jim Douglas, Bill Adam, Glen Hultz, and Ken Jones, just to name a few.

My friends will kind of roll their eyes when I wax rhapsodic about Doug Bruner , Scott and Jay Douglas or Brian Inman.

Well, this morning I heard another one of our graduates on the radio and was proud as heck of him. From the fourth grade on, it was obvious that Brian Wosman was a big picture thinker and a tireless worker. I didn't know Brian well. Coached against him mostly, referee'd some of his games when he was younger. Did have the opportunity to coach him in an all star game. He was always curious. He wanted to know why things happened. I remember when he was in the fourth or fifth grade, he watched my bigger kids play a game using Purdue's version of the zone press. When the game was over, he asked one of my players why we positioned ourselves a certain way. Even then, he was gathering information. (By the way, my player gave simultaneously the best and worst answer possible "That's how we practiced it.")

Now, there is no doubt Brian would have been a huge success at whatever he undetook even without his Y experience. He has a thoughtful, sensitive and supportive father, one of the best things a youngster could ever hope for. B. himself was just a good citizen. I don't remember his ever having even looking vexed with a referee. He just showed up and played the point.

Still, those young softball players in Palmyra are as lucky to have this terrific young man as he is to have their talents and dedication.

Brian, ya did a great job on the radio. For all of the guys who supported the Y programs back while you were coming up, you're another reason for us to be proud of our "grads".

Continued Success

15 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, October 02, 2007, Blogger TOOKIE said...

David Adams was a Biased UMP and ref .......he knows it & we all know it .


I think the YMCA should Ban "Biggy Smalls" from the grounds forever .


:)

 
At 8:46 AM, October 02, 2007, Blogger UMRBlog said...

Too-Keyed-up,

You got too many new grudges. You're gonna have to let go of some of the old ones just to make room in your hard drive!

TYFCB

 
At 9:10 AM, October 02, 2007, Blogger TOOKIE said...

mainly a POKE fun at Big Sexy !


He was actually one of our better ref's & umps


But it gets him all hot and bothered to question is 20 plus years ago calls .




Which makes my damn day !


hahahaha



( you know he made some calls in youth baseball Coach)


If you see him kick the dirt on his shoes ........


I know you still want to


:)


hahahaha

 
At 9:10 AM, October 02, 2007, Blogger TOOKIE said...

p.s. : you still blew me away with the Dr story with that pic.



made my day LONG ass day brighter .

 
At 9:34 AM, October 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Took's defense, I noticed you didn't wax rhapsodic DA.

 
At 9:48 AM, October 02, 2007, Blogger UMRBlog said...

Re DA

It's difficult to speak with any perspective about a guy who's been able to finish my sentences since he was about 13 years old.

Rudyard Kipling used to write about the idealized man, the guy who could take a licking and keep on ticking. DA's that guy. Some peeps grade him down on style points but he's tough and smart and generous in spirit.

I wish I had a DVD of him explaining the Infield Fly Rule to Fred Ketchum as Fred's face got redder and his blood pressure approached 400/200. When we got to "runners advance at their own risk", I was kind of running through my CPR training mentally.

Priceless.

 
At 9:53 AM, October 02, 2007, Blogger TOOKIE said...

Are you glad I brought up DA aka Big Sexy ?

See now i just made your day !



p.s. : David Brought Sexy back long before Justin TimberFAKE



Don't let anyone tell you different

 
At 12:32 PM, October 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

UMRB, you gonna give Tookie a break on his ticket, or what?

 
At 12:47 PM, October 02, 2007, Blogger UMRBlog said...

1232,

Even though this is second most publicized Ordinance Violation ticket in the history of the Free World (Tony Aleman is the first), I still cannot comment publicly on my client's in court matters.

Tookie knows everything he needs to know.

TYFCB

 
At 1:17 PM, October 02, 2007, Blogger TOOKIE said...

Tookie rests in very good hands and has no fear !


now back to D.A. Bringing "Sexy back "


he brought sexy back in the 1980's

 
At 1:53 PM, October 02, 2007, Blogger TOOKIE said...

I am still shocked Edtard & Che Wilson have not run a full page on it yet .


But back to the important memories of Freddy K ........ He and Henkanmper lived to coach back then . Hell Mike E could coach some hoops .........



DA gave me my 5th on WEMHEONER ....it was all ball !


Then DA gave Neisen his 5th ....





He brought sexy back , but man he loved Todd W .

 
At 2:03 PM, October 02, 2007, Blogger TOOKIE said...

Another name from the past & my Bus trip home from the QC post a QHS got beat up ........


T Griggs !


Now he would be laughing his @ss off at me getting an OV over Public Enemy !


We used to discuss the merits of PE , while radical , they were making music that was Malcom X social cutting edge.


See I enjoy PE . They didn't rap about bub in da club or their gold chain .........


They Spoke about Social change and pride in one's self worth .



I miss them as a BAND .

 
At 2:46 PM, October 02, 2007, Blogger UMRBlog said...

TG's good people. I always kind of thought he'd be the one to lead QHS back to football prominence. A good leader is one others would willingly follow and I thought T'ano was that kinda guy.

Hope he's making piles in his new gig.

 
At 4:27 PM, October 02, 2007, Blogger TOOKIE said...

I am not sure how TanYO couldn't . He has the personality and drive to be great atthat gig. He is a class act guy.

I got in a ton of trouble in a mix of Senor, TanYO, and myself . But always laughing.

We used to do Tookie basement boxing in the winters.....I had Tanyo on reach and jab , but post many a nights he found my weakness and did a fake I went to jab and TANYO .........



PUT my lights out !



We had massive weight gloves too .


I mean I was 100% Out and Tanyo used one of dad's beers to pour on my head to wake me up 3 mins later.


That was the ONLY recorded 100% K.O. in Tookie basement boxing.


We never went to hurt each other just a group of dumbass friends who said "hey this seems like a good idea" ........


Now Mr Brad H ....the QB and Tanyo used to be matches .


I had beat Tanyo at a min 20 times , but ONE LIGHTS OUT trumps them all.


Just thinking about Tanyo's Malcom X phase still cracks me up.

 
At 5:06 AM, October 03, 2007, Blogger TOOKIE said...

Crap .........


Brain W was always a great kid . I bet he can coach extremely well.


Uncle Tony I need to intorduce you not only to MikePaul Allbad the Ar-Kansas hill cooter , but Coach Jimmy Con .


Jcon is the type of Coaches Coach .


If you ever followed Culver , he played both ways and got naia All American status both ways.


Guy knows the game and loves it . Then he , like me digs HISTORY so he teaches that like it will be illegal the next day.


Ask any recent Highland Grad who had him in class what his level of "put up with bullsh*t " was.


They will all say ZERO .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home