Thursday, March 02, 2006

I'M NOT A JOURNALIST BUT I DID

STAY AT A HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS



The blogosphere is growing in Quincy and the UMRB generally. That's great. To paraphrase Josephus, it may change the political and/or journalistic landscape in our area.

But one has to ask: Do we really need four blogs which exist solely to critique local media coverage? If you count the U/G, which has commentators who seem to live for that purpose, that's five.

I'm not trained to practice Dentistry, Veterinary Medicine or journalism so you won't find that here. I have no particular quarrel with those who do. Still, you'd think they'd peel back the wallpaper of the reporting technique once in awhile and just address the substance of the matter more often. Apparently Whig-bashing and Gough-bashing will get your hit numbers up and I'm sure there's some deep meaning in that. Until I figure out that deep meaning, I'll talk about what's happening in the world and my pre-spun opinion of what it might mean. I know nothing about journalism. I'm neither taking up for the local news organizations for bashing them, just saying this page is not a useful source of analysis for that topic.

The citizen-journalists can have that field to themselves. In here, we'll just blog.

5 Comments:

At 1:01 PM, March 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Judging from the coarse, shallow, and banal tone of many Quincy blogs any changes they induce will only leave the landscape bleaker. By and large bloggers are to insightful observations what Agent Orange is to foliage.

 
At 1:29 PM, March 02, 2006, Blogger UMRBlog said...

Well, on the one hand, two of them degenerated into hate boards. On the other hand, some of the host topics have been worthwhile.

I guess it wouldn't pay either one of us to be too cynical about bloggers because we're both apparently reading them. It would be easy today to agree with you, but I'm gonna hold out hope for the human condition for one more day. One may be all I have in my hope basket, though.

 
At 7:36 AM, March 03, 2006, Blogger George said...

http://quincydump.blogspot.com/

You can add another one.

 
At 10:45 AM, March 05, 2006, Blogger Quincy Fire said...

I have added a link as requested, Thanks for the same.

 
At 12:42 PM, March 05, 2006, Blogger UMRBlog said...

QFire,

I like your approach. Very user-friendly. Kind of a Blog-poplist. Stephen A. Douglas woulda been you, had he been a blogger (of course, his dialup would have been pretty slow, too.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home