Friday, May 30, 2008

IS OUR CHILDREN STUPIDER OR GETTING MORE SMARTER?

Been reading a lot about how the children of America are or are not smarter than former generations.

The research suggests that American IQ's (free form ability to think), mean and median, are up from 50 years ago. I suppose that's right but it might be the wrong question.

If you asked the question: Where does the mean, or median, IQ of American fall in rank order with those of other counrties' children in comparison to rank order from 50 years ago. In other words, even conceding folks are getting smarter, are we improving as fast as our global competitors?

You'd have look at this statistically. One walk through the WalMart would cause any of us to surrender immediately.

I don't know any answers here but I think I could ask the right questions.

1 Comments:

At 7:16 AM, May 30, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would suggest that intelligence is not of significant importance to getting ahead, or being competitive globally.

Issues that, I believe, ar emore important are,

1. Work Ethic
2. Common Sense
3. Communication skills
4. Vision

I am not certain that young people, at least to the same degree as in the past, have these important traits.

Intelligence, without these traits, is an empty shell.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home