Tuesday, March 18, 2008

DALAI LAMA: A PROCEDURAL QUESTION

I kind of don't get Tibetan politics. I'm sure that'll really piss Richard Gere off, but I never have quite gotten it.

They want to be part of China but, an hour later they're hungry for freedom again. Nobody's ever quite spelled out to my satisfaction what it is about Tibet that scares the ChiComs so badly. Also, what's the point of rounding up a buncha people they're just going to let go when things cool off. So, anyhow, I just don't get the dance.

Leaving that off to the side for a minute, here are my real questions. The Dalai Lama (a really cool guy who is about as Tibetan as I am Kenyan) is now threatening to resign. If Dalai Lama is a state of being, how does one resign from being Dalai Lama? Even if the Dalai Lama could resign from being Dalai Lama, to whom would he send his Letter of Resignation?

Can't you see it:

Dear______________,

Effective March 23, 2008 @ 1700 GMT, I, The Dalai Lama, resign from my position of Dalai Lama and renounce all rights, benefits, privileges and emoluments to which I may have heretofore been entitled.

I appreciate the opportunity to serve with all the other Lamas and wish all involved in Lama'ing good grazing in the future.

My mail may be forwarded to my new name and location:

Mr. Dale Lammers
MegaHogFarm
Cooperstown, IL

Hellodalai@yahoo.com


Respectfully Submitted,

D. Lama


Now, all he's gotta do is figure out where to send it.

5 Comments:

At 7:12 PM, March 18, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a pretty ignorant post.

 
At 7:40 PM, March 18, 2008, Blogger UMRBlog said...

Well, at least, the comment it rec'd is in keeping with the quality of its post.

TYFCB

 
At 8:01 PM, March 18, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All those windchimes know how to do is censor everything. If I were him, I would be ticked that I couldn't get to CNN, youtube and my own news channel to watch the beatings of my own people.

He can come stay here. I got a spare room. And if anyone comes looking for him, I won't say anything, I'll just start throwin' shit.

 
At 4:49 AM, March 19, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

712 is correct.

He would resign as the political leader and head of state, but not as the Dalai Lama. He will always be the Dalai Lama.

 
At 4:17 PM, March 19, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a funny guy, UMR, in a lawyery kinda way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home