Friday, June 29, 2007

DOUBLE D: GONE TOO SOON

Derrick Douglas died yesterday and the community is the poorer for it.

Double D had theories about everything, life, child-rearing, basketball, work, basketball, religion, basketball, race relations, basketball and Did I mention basketball? He was great company and could work a room with any experienced politician. He would make you laugh, and not always when he meant to. When you bumped into Double D, you were always glad for the visit.

DD had some hardships. He had some fun. He had a lot of friends. Those of us who continue this ride without him will not enjoy it nearly as much.

For now, I don't want to get into the circumstances of his death--just observe and regret it.

I had a lot of fun stuff for today but it'll keep for another time.

Sorry, Buddy.

3 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, June 29, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a complete shock yesterday. I had just talked to Derrick the week before, we were friends and I know his sons.
Political discussions were always animated and energetic with him, and yes, he cracked me up on many occasions without even trying!!

tears and appreciation.....
R.I.P.

 
At 12:53 PM, July 02, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

I absolutely loved this man. He never let you know if he was not happy. He always had the biggest shit eatin grin on his face that could light up a room. I will definately miss him and the company. He was the most generous man that I had ever met. I love you double d and will miss you terribly.

steph

 
At 4:17 PM, July 13, 2007, Blogger kaj53@hotmail.com said...

Derrick and I had made plans for his vacation and then tragedy happened. He has always been the best friend and we have been together off and on for 15 years now. We had planned to travel together when he retired..now all that is gone and he is very much missed. He raised some fine sons, which he always kept me up to date on..he was very proud of them. Everyone will miss him..my tears still fall and the pain is acute..but someday I hope to see him again in that better place. God bless him. Kathy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home